Wednesday, July 27, 2005

As the sun sets in the US, rises in Cambodia

For a typical morning at around 7 am, the sun is up high and shining over Phnom Penh. The flickering lights are going through the windows and lighting up the house.

Everybody is already up by then. You can hear the noises from our neighbours because we live next to each other in a flat. You can smell and hear the breakfast is being cooked in the house. I can picture my parents are having breakfast at a round wooden table at the back of our house. They normally eat hot rice soup (Bor Bor Sor) with some dried fish and salty eggs and a little bit of this and that. Dad drinks hot coffee with it while mom just drinks water. Sometimes the breakfast is followed by some delicious desserts that my sister buys from the market nearby.

I can virtually smell the breakfast from here while describing it :).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Tom --
Monkey's back to the corny fields! Two nights ago, I dreamed of all the desserts I ate at a store near Psa Tmey, and I felt I was still in Phnom Penh after waking up. There, I was stuffed!
Talk to you soon, my friend.
Cha :)

Tom said...

Let me say "Welcome back!" I wanted to talk to you but your number is not in service anymore. Let me know how to reach you. Let's catch up later.