Friday, March 26, 2010

Oregon Coast Road Trip and Car Camping

Oregon coast roadtrip

As I survived another quarter at school, I wanted a getaway during school break to reward myself. So I decided to go on a road trip and car camping along the oregon coast. It was indeed a refreshing experience. The weather was sunny most of the time which revealed the true coastal beauties from the north to the south of Oregon.

5-star hotel is overrated :)
IMG_3846

The weather was still around 40-60F in March but I got my camping gears ready to keep me warm though there were times when it rained and the wind blew my tent so hard I thought it would be torn apart :). There were many campgrounds along the coast. It was a different experience getting out of civilization for a bit and sleeping under trees or open sky. The smell of fresh air, the singing birds in the morning and the sound of crickets at night were sort of soundtracks :). I expected the inconveniences and discomforts but they didn't seem to bother much when you have appreciation for nature. In fact, comparing to previous road trips, I enjoyed camping more than hotels. Now I suppose I understand why many others like to go camping.

View from Ecola State Park
IMG_3789

It seems like there were a lot of things to see on each turn and curve of the coast. Some of the highlights were huge rock formations, lighthouses, surging waves against the rocks and sea lions. It also happened to be grey whale migration season (from south to north) which I was able to spot a few white spouts of grey whales from the coast on clear days. Even though it was hard to see them without binoculars, it was still exciting to know they're there by watching their spouts. It was also thrilling to hike up a steep cliff at Cape Lookout and sand dune in Florence.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a thought of mountain's bear coming near by? Doesn't it bother you Tom? Run! unless you have a rifle with you :)


Kanjana

Tom said...

Haha I wasn't too worried about that since I didn't camp in the wilderness. Where I camped there were always other campers around.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you didn't. A though of a big fat grizzly bear coming my way just would not do. That would be my biggest nightmare of 2010 :)Have fun Tom and enjoy your camping when ever you can! Also those photos that you took, could very well be a twin to Birds & Blooms. Fraternal twin actually and B & B had better look out. They're really nice!


Kanjana

Anonymous said...

No problem! a Big fat grizly sharing Tom´s tent would have keopt him warm.

Tom said...

Ha good one, Anonymous :).