Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Lunar Eclipse

The moon is shot on different time frames and put together in Photoshop.
Series of eclipse shots

It is my first time to witness and photograph one of nature's greatest phenomenons: the lunar eclipse. Today's lunar eclipse can be seen from North and South Americas, Oceania and Asia. I call up my dad to look for eclipse when the moon is rising in Cambodia. Delightfully, the Northwest gets the best seat for watching the entire show this year. So I do not want to miss this opportunity. I bring with me my camera and tripod and set it up just outside of my apartment.

The weather is generously cooperative for the entire eclipse. Although it's about 50 Fahrenheit outside, the night sky is clear and quiet which makes photography a lot easier. I just need to remember to occasionally clean off the dew from my lens filter. The full moon is setting from the opposite side of the bright stars which enables it to dominate the dark horizon and thus makes observation more joyful.

Starting at 1:51 am Pacific Time, the Earth's shadow starts creeping slowly across the illuminated moon taking one bite at a time until the moon is fully overshadowed. Suddenly the moon becomes orange, then turns into red-blood and lasts for about an hour. That is, to me, the most eye-catching part. Unfortunately, I am not able to gaze at the second phase of the eclipse where the Earth's shadow moves away from the moon. But I think it is similar to the beginning phase. By now it is already 4:30 am and unfortunately I am not a full-time photographer :). I have to get up at 7 am for work. I'd better get a couple hours of sleep so that I can function at work.

Sacrificing a few hours of sleep is worth the experience. From beginning till the end, I enjoy gazing at the eclipse, taking photos and sipping beer in between.

Full moon before eclipse
Full Moon before eclipse

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These photos definitely need Copy Right, Tom.

Kanjana

Kenno said...

Hey, just wanna thank you for having reminded me about the lunar eclipse. I almost forgot.

Tom said...

Thank you Bang Kanjana :).

No Problem Kenno.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece of art work!
~Cha