Friday, February 24, 2006

Sitting, thinking, reminiscing

Dear Mom and Dad,
It's been 6 years, 6 months and 23 days since I left home to this date
How are you and our family doing?
I'm doing well here and trying to make a living

Seems like yesterday when I came here at 19
It was in Fall where trees' leaves and grass were still green
I was excited with my new life and journey
So many things to learn, many people to meet and places to see

When my first winter came I was so happy
I picked up the snow and tasted it just to satisfy my curiosity
Then snow after snow later
I wish I was home, realizing it just got colder and colder

Then came Spring time when the weather was lovely
For the first time I enjoyed being in the Sun like everybody
I know it may sound funny here
But I could never do that because it's too hot in Cambodia

But Summer was hot and humid, worse than our country
The heat and humidity had no mercy
It's always sticky and sweating
Felt like there's no air for breathing

However, through all the seasons I also enjoyed making new friends
I tried to enjoy college and studied the best I can
I tried to stay fit physically and mentally
Because being away from home, I'm the one who takes care of me

The first year at school was also a difficult year
Trying to get used to different environment and language barrier
I missed home food and hated cafeteria food
But I had to eat for my own good

Another Fall has come and gone by
Another Spring has come and gone by
Another Winter has come and gone by
Another Summer has come and gone by

Season after season and year after year
Many things have changed at home and here
The saddest news that struck me when I first heard Mom had cancer
But she's been battling with it bravely and I have to stay strong for her

Through thick and thin I still persist
There are opportunities lie ahead I can't resist
Just like fire does to iron, these experiences have shaped me
Without going through all these, I don't know what I would be

I'm working and trying to gain experiences now
I hope I can make you both proud
I'm living my life don't you worry
I'm glad I can send back home some money

I can't thank enough for your love and supports
For your sweats, your bloods and your efforts
For your teaching of ethics, what's right and wrong
That is what helped make me strong

Sometimes I think before going to bed at night
What do I want to do for my life?
But no matter what and where I will be
There's always a special place in my heart for my family

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a touching piece of poem I've ever read! I could somehow see myself going through some of your personal experiences, and I'd like to thank you for being a best friend. We learn and grow together in this country, where many people see it as the land of "freedom and opportunities". Honestly, I think you've done an excellent job with your poem. And, I'm very proud of you for all the hard work and efforts you've been challenging with all the challenges. Keep it up, dude!

Tom said...

Thanks Veacha. I appreciate your friendship too. I know after I wrote this, this peom doesn't only speak for myself but also, more or less, speak on behalf of those who are away from home studying/working abroad. That's the whole point of my poem and I'm glad you could see that and were touched.

It's nice to know that you're still visiting my blog :). Later man.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahhaha Come on... How could i not visit your blog? Even I have another interesting page to go to, I still oftentimes visit friends' pages.
Cheers! :)

I also wish I could play piano like you. :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom

It ;s the 4th poem you have written so far. I read and translated it in Khmer to your Mom. She was very happy to see through your poem your maturity.

Hun

Sreisaat said...

Hi... it's a beautiful poem. I am sure your parents are proud to have you as a son!

Tom said...

Thank you Bang Srey for visiting my blog and read my poem.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you survived the storm!
Stay safe,
Cha

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Jus wana say that this poem has touched my heart and change my way of thinking in life...
Guess I took everything for granted and never realised that there are many people struggling in their lifes..
I really appreciate my parents more then ever now.
Good luck dude..

Kenno said...

I'm late to read this poem, but I'm sure I'm not the last. :) It's very well written, buddy.

You know, many people do surely feel the same way as you, but not many can express it out so well and touching.

Tom said...

Hi everyone!

Just want to say I appreciate you for reading my poem. I'm pleased to know that it touches you one way or another.

Anonymous said...

You're so right, my friend. No one ever understands ones better than those who've been through a similar situation. So, keep our spirits up and deal with the truths! Have a safe trip here this Friday!
Cha

Tom said...

Thanks man.

It's a great trip. Good reunion. Thanks for the hospitality:)! I won't forget how we got lost in chicago :).

My bimmer took me home safely.

Anonymous said...

hahahahhaha... Actually, I'm glad we were lost in Chicago. Thanks to that I had more private time with you. ;) Thanks for visiting and making my house a home! It was really fun! I'm happy for you having the bimmer --she's awesome!

I'm missing you guys already. Tell La I wish another "last night". Also, tell Ra he might get another bite. :D Tell yourself I'm saving the Black Lebel bottle.

Cha

Anonymous said...

Very very nice! and very true Tom!
I enjoy reading it so much!.It made every sence to me.
You had fine hubby. Writting is something very creative and a wonderful gift to anyone that can do it. You got it,Tom. You did a fabulous job!
Did I come across that you Mom picked up cancer?


Bang from Pennsylvania( Kanjana )

Tom said...

Hi Bang Srey Kanjana!

Thanks for reading my poem. Yes unfortunately my mom has been battling with cancer for 3 years now.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and your family as well!

Are you alright,Tom?
Cancer is terrible. It would rather be a frightening dicease to me than you ever know.
I'm not sure, how to help,Tom. I heard that people are able to control this bad emotion by turning to nutritional diet and doing excecise or yoga. I never really believe in doing meditation, but people say, it's excellent. Finding spiritual comfort in religion seemed more acceptable to everyone nowaday. it used to be just for older people. How about planing for the future? or taking a vacation? It seems easy enough. It brings fun and joyous movement. I'll say that it's a good way to reverse and reduce stress.

I hope,everything goes well,Tom and that the cancer treatment isn't so bad for your Mom. I will pray for her strenght and better health. There will be lighted at the end of the tunnel. Please also know that my thoughts and prayers are also with you and your family. Always,

Kanjana

Tom said...

Bang Srey,

I'm doing alright and have been coping with this OK so far. Thank you for your thoughts and concerns.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome !

I like to know how things are going with your Mom in the future.
Tom, on Saturday,May 27th. Our family are goig to Washington DC to celebrate Cambodian friendship night. It's a 30 year reunion for Cambodian's boat people which they left Kampoung Som or Sihanouksville back in 1975. Many were rescued and brought to America in 1976. It will be a very happy reunion!.
You and your loved one are invited to come along and stay at our home for the time that you all will be here at The East Coast. We will do our best to provide the hospitality that you'll need.
It's a great opportunity for you to meet many more Cambodian families and introduce your very well writting poems. Will you think about it? and let us know?

Kanjana

Tom said...

Thank you Bang for your invitation.

But I won't be able to go because I don't have much vacation days and I'm saving them for going home later.

Anonymous said...

Hello Tom!

That's alright. You must do what your heart tells you to do. I hope to meet you and your family some day at some other occasions.
If you go to visit Cambodia, have a safe trip and a wonderful time! Keep writing poem. My instinct tells me that I won't be the only one who would not be able to resist reading a beautiful writting like that. Take care of your self and keep in touch...
Have a terrific Summer Tom!

Kanjana

Pinkii Pumpkin said...

its really touch me. sigh...or maybe i am d type of emotional gal..~